Sonic Puke
It's all fun and games until somebody pokes out an eye

11/05/2003

Zell Miller (D) Supports Pres Bush...
From Meet the Press...

SEN. MILLER: Also, these so-called national leaders, none of them can come South and try to help a fellow Democrat.
MR. RUSSERT: Why not?
SEN. MILLER: Because they’re considered too liberal. They do more harm than good. Terry McAuliffe can’t come down there and try to help us Southern Democrats. Neither can Bill Clinton or Al Gore or Tom Daschle or Nancy Pelosi because this party has been pulled by these special interests with their own narrow agenda so far to the left that they’re completely out of the mainstream. These special interests, they see their narrow agenda as being more important than the sum total of the party.

SEN. MILLER: I respect all of them, and they’re good and decent people, but they are so far afield in wherever they’re going in this campaign. I mean, here they have adopted the worst possible features of the McGovern campaign. That is, get out, at any cost. Give up, come home, quit. And, the worst possible feature of the Mondale campaign, raise taxes. Tim, I was there in 1972 at Miami Beach when—here you had this crowd, chanting about the president of the United States, “Liar, liar, liar.” And they had on these T-shirts, “Make love, not war.” And Willie Brown was going around, shouting, “Let my people go.” And then in the wee morning hours, they nominated George McGovern. He carried one state, one single, solitary state. And I was there in 1984 at San Francisco when Walter Mondale looked out and told the nation, “I’m going to raise your taxes.” What? Goodness gracious, that’s not the way to campaign. He carried one single, solitary state. They have managed, except a, somewhat, Lieberman, Gephardt, a little exception—they have managed to make this a double feature of the worst of the Democratic Party.

MR. RUSSERT: let me show you what Howard Dean said yesterday, and get your reaction.
“I still want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks...We can’t beat George Bush unless we appeal to a broad cross-section of Democrats.” Is he making sense with that statement?
SEN. MILLER: Howard Dean knows about as much about the South as a hog knows about Sunday. This must be his Southern strategy. And I can tell you right now, that that’s the same kind of stereotype, that’s the same kind of character trait that I write about in this book. I write about in this book in 1988 Michael Dukakis coming to Georgia and having this rally, and they had all these bales of hay stashed around here and there, like it was some kind of set from the television show “Hee Haw.” That’s not what the South is...
...This is not the South that Howard Dean thinks it is. Sure, we drive pickups, but on the back of those pickups, you see a lot of American flags.

MR. RUSSERT: Wesley Clark, the general: What do you think of him?
SEN. MILLER: Well, as you know, Tim, there’ve been 12, I think, generals been elected president of the United States. Only one of them has been a Democrat; 1828, Andrew Jackson. And with all due respect to Wesley Dean, he is no “Old Hickory.” I can tell you that. I have a tremendous respect for anyone who wears the uniform, anyone who has been shot at by our enemies. But when your last boss, in this case General Hugh Shelton, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, says that you lack integrity, that’s a pretty strong indictment. No integrity? I mean, how would you like to be taking that reference around whenever you’re looking for a new job?
MR. RUSSERT: General Clark will say many other people in the military have a lot more favorable things to say.
SEN. MILLER: Well, this was his last boss. This was a man who’s known him for years.



from CNN...
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Democratic Sen. Zell Miller of Georgia said Wednesday he will endorse President Bush in the coming presidential election.

"This does not mean I am going to become a Republican," Miller said in a written statement. "It simply means that in the year 2004, this Democrat will vote for George Bush."

Miller first declared his intention in an online interview with The Weekly Standard, saying Bush is "the right man at the right time."


from WATIMES...
"'I've thought about this a lot. I think the next five years are going to be crucial in deciding what kind of world my grandchildren and great-grandchildren live in. And I cannot support any of these. I can't leave that crucial decision to any of these Democrats who are running,' he said.
'That does not mean I'm going to become a Republican. It just means in 2004 this Democrat's going to vote for George Bush,' the senator said.
'I think President Bush is the right man in the right place at the right time. I see some Churchill in the man,' Mr. Miller said. 'Down South, we'd call it 'he's got a little grit in his craw.' I like that very much.' "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home